Spring has definitely arrived and it’s the perfect time to spring clean your home and dust away the winter blues. As passionate advocators for natural, chemical free cleaning we want to share our spring cleaning list and some natural solutions with you so that you can make the most of the health benefits and enjoy your rejuvenated and refreshed haven.
General Home Areas
- Use a microfiber cloth to dust your blinds and wash curtains. Microfibre holds dust particles rather than just moving them around.
- Open doors and windows to cleanse the air in the home.
- Clean your windows with a natural solution of white vinegar and water. Mix one part of water to one part vinegar in a spray bottle and use a lint free cloth for best results.
- Shake out your rugs and then vacuum. Place them outside in direct sunlight to kill any bacteria build up.
- Dust all internal surfaces, ceiling fans and behind furniture where there is a build-up of dust.
- Remove dust from external window furnishings and remove any cob webs.
- Rotate or flip your mattresses.
- Open windows to clear and clean the air in the bedrooms.
- Wash your bedroom linen, including pillow cases, doona covers and kid’s soft toys.
- Place pillows, bed spreads and doonas in direct sunlight to kill any bacteria.
- Declutter and organise your wardrobe. Refer to our Tips for Organising Your Home
- Wipe down cupboard doors to remove grease build up. Combine 1 cup warm water with half cup baking soda. It’s a great natural degreaser and works very effectively.
- Clean out your fridge, wipe down shelves and compartments with a natural solution. Mix together two parts warm water with one part vinegar and a few drops of lemon essential oil in a spray bottle.
- Empty, wipe down and reorganise your kitchen cupboards. Refer to our Tips for Organising Your Home
- Thoroughly wash and dry your kitchen bins to ensure there is no germ build up.
- Thoroughly wash bathmats and towels that may have collected dust over the winter months.
- Steam clean your taps, shower, grout to kill mould and bacteria. Steam cleaners use plain tap water that is heated to a high temperature to be effective.
- Make a scented scrub for your bath, sink and shower base. Mix half a cup of baking soda, half cup of vinegar and five drops of bergamot or lime oil for a scented scrub.
- Use undiluted white vinegar to wipe down high-germ areas such as the toilet, door knobs, waste bins and tiled floors.
- Clean and dust under washing machine and dryer. Lots of dust collects in these areas.
- Clear out filters in your washing machine and dryer for cleanliness and efficiency. Lint builds up over time and can have disastrous effects.
- Clean out cupboards, wipe them down with a natural water and vinegar solution. Reorganising and decluttering will help you find things when you’re in a hurry.
- Wash and thoroughly dry blankets, throw rugs and cushion covers.
- Place pillows outdoors in direct sunlight to kill any bacteria. Wash if required.
- If you have a fireplace give it a good clean so there’s no soot remaining.
- Vacuum furniture to remove crumbs, dirt and dust build up.
- Open windows and air out the living area. Use a diffuser with your favourite essential oils to invigorate a sense of freshness.
- Dust any pot plants and take them outside for fresh air, sunlight and a good watering. Bring them back into the home to purify the air in your home.
- Clean and dust around electrical items with a microfiber cloth. Be sure to use a dry cloth for safety reasons.
- Declutter and reorganise your living space. There’s nothing that breathes new life into a room. Get rid of things you no longer need or use.
Just remember that supermarket chemical laden cleaning products are not going to do you or your family’s health any favours. Always opt for natural cleaning solutions that you can make yourself. Most of the time you have all you need in your cupboards at home and at a fraction of the cost too.
Now that you have our spring cleaning list, it’s time to get started. It doesn’t have to be a huge chore, get the whole family involved, share the tasks and make it fun. Turn up the music and dance your way through each area of the home. You’ll feel great once it’s done and you can all sit back and enjoy the sunshine streaming through those gleaming windows.